Always on the lookout for healthy snack or mini-meal ideas, I have come up with a new favourite! It’s a spread made of avocado, white beans (Cannellini or kidney), and tomato. Combined with heart-healthy olive oil and vitamin C rich lemon, this is as nutritious as it is delicious. It can also be served as a dip for vegetables or tortilla chips.
This recipe makes about 3 cups … feel free to halve the recipe if that’s too much for you. We just kept in the the refrigerator and snacked on it over a few days.
Avocado Bean Spread (or Dip)
- - 2 cups cooked or canned white beans, rinsed and drained.
- - flesh of 1 ripe avocado.
- - 1 tomato cut into chunks. (The quantity of tomato you use determines how thick your spread/dip will be. Use more if you want it dip-like, or less if you want a paste you can spread.)
- - Juice of 1 lemon (Roll your lemon between your palm and cutting board before cutting and you'll get way more juice from it!)
- - 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- - Some 'good' onion such as white, Spanish, red, green or shallot (avoid yellow cooking onions for this recipe). About 2 tablespoons chopped.
- - 1 clove garlic. Slice in half and remove inner core (it can be bitter), and then mince finely.
- - About 1 tablespoon fresh herbs, chopped. We used a combination of basil, oregano, rosemary and parsley because it was all in our herb garden, but use what you have available. Oregano is good.
- - Some finely chopped hot pepper (if you like it). We're on the 'like it' side and used 1/2 a Scotch Bonnet pepper
- - Salt to taste (1 to 2 teaspoons or so)
Using a food processor, mince onion and blend together with avocado, beans and 1/2 tomato. Then add other ingredients and blend until smooth. Add more tomato and blend to reach the consistency you prefer. I used one medium sized tomato, (as pictured with the ingredients).
This recipe was created by Loulou at Loulou Downtown Blog www.loulou.to
We served it with wheat crackers and also made wrap sandwiches with multi-grain and seed wraps, adding lettuce and shredded carrot. If serving as a dip, you can drizzle a bit of olive oil over top to make it look prettier.
And it is Friday! It’s a three day week-end here. We’re not exactly sure what we’ll get up to. How about you? Hope it turns out to be fun.
Thanks for visiting,
You May Also Like